May 2021 Spring Vol II Newsletter
To view the May 2021 newsletter click the link below
To view the May 2021 newsletter click the link below
To view the March 2021 Newsletter click the link below
To view the January 2021 Newsletter click the link below
To read our November 2020 Newsletter click the link below
To view the August 2020 Newsletter click the link below
[et_pb_column type=”4_4″][et_pb_text admin_label=”Text”]Ready the full newsletter here
OCEANSIDE CELEBRATES ITS 132nd YEAR SINCE INCORPORATION
The City of Oceanside incorporated on July 3, 1888 but our history dates back years further. It was founded by
Andrew Jackson Myers, who settled in the San Luis Rey valley in the late 1870’s. Myers applied for and received a
homestead grant in 1883 and received 160 acres, which is now downtown Oceanside. In the early 1880s a railroad
line was built that connected Los Angeles to San Diego. The trains traveled directly over Myers’ new land grant
making his property very valuable.
Cave Johnson Couts, Jr. surveyed and helped to map out the townsite. John Chauncey Hayes sold the new town
lots through his land office on North Cleveland Street. Hayes served as Justice of the Peace and was the first mail
contractor between San Diego and San Bernardino. He wrote the petition for the town’s first post office, which
listed the name as two words: “Ocean Side”.
The train stopped at a simple wooden platform to unload mail and passengers. One of the first commercial blocks
contained the Hayes Land Office, the Louis Billiard Hall and Mayroffer’s Saloon.
By 1886 Oceanside had a population of 350 people and boasted of “nearly sixty houses”. Two churches were
established, the Congregational and the Christian, but the saloons outnumbered them. The Congregational Church
was built on the corner of Ditmar and First (now Seagaze) and is still standing, the oldest in Oceanside.
By 1887 a large, ornate brick building was erected at the northwest corner of Second and Hill (Mission and Coast
Highway) to house the Bank of Oceanside. The bank was organized by Col. Daniel H. Horne and Charles Morrill,
with E.S. Payne as the cashier.
Needed for a seaside resort was a substantial hotel, and in 1887 the beautiful South Pacific Hotel was built. It was
located on Third (Pier View Way) and Pacific Streets, near the present day pier. A.P. Hotaling of San Francisco was
the owner and the hotel was leased out to a proprietor. Dr. E.A. Tuttle was one of the first managers of this hotel, which faced the
railroad track, instead of the beach, to entice train passengers. In early 1888 a new Santa Fe Depot was built, located on the 100 block of North Cleveland Street. It was the center of activity for decades, bringing tourists, settlers, visiting relatives and even presidents. Oceanside’s depot was essential in shipping crops to Los Angeles and it was also a gathering spot for locals to catch up news from abroad and get the latest bulletins from the telegraph wires.[/et_pb_text][/et_pb_column]
Three Coins by Russell N. Low Low is a local author and California-born 4th generation Chinese American physician and the great grandson of Hung Lai Wah, a Transcontinental Railroad worker and Tom Ying, a rescued child salve. The story of his great grandparents and their descendants has been featured on the History Channel, BBC Radio, National Public Radio, the Voice of America, and is included in the California State Railroad Museum, and the Smithsonian Museum of American History. His passion for research, family history, and story telling come together in a recently published novel entitled “Three Coins.” Join us as he describes the inspirational story of how his family came to America. The program is hosted by the Oceanside Public Library and will be held in the Oceanside Library Community Room at 330 North Coast Highway. This is a free program and open to our friends, members and the general public.
The Oceanside Historical Society will present a free historical program on Saturday, June 29th at 1:30 pm. The program is hosted by the Oceanside Public Library and will be held in the Oceanside Library’s Community Room at 330 North Coast Highway. Enjoy historic images from our photo collection ranging from the 1880s to the 1980s. Historian and President Kristi Hawthorne will provide a commentary on how Oceanside aspired to be a resort city from its inception in 1883.
[et_pb_column type=”4_4″][et_pb_text admin_label=”Text”]Ruiz Family Reunited With Long Lost Photos
Several years ago a packet of family photographs made their way to the Oceanside Historical Society’s photo collection. An old photo sleeve dated 1951 with the name “Raul Ruiz” written on it provided clues, however, at the time, we were unsuccessful in identifying the persons in the photos or the original owner (this was B.F. “before Facebook”). The photos sat safely in a box waiting to be “rediscovered.”
Oceanside’s Downtown History Walks Continue
Article: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Heritage Park
Heritage Park Village celebrates its 40th year this year. It all began in the early 1970s as the City began planning a way to celebrate our Nation’s Bicentennial. In the early 1970s a site for the park was selected just behind the Mission San Luis Rey. The two acre city owned parcel was chosen because of its close proximity to the historic Mission as well as the quaint Episcopal Church and cemetery established in the 1890s.
Download full Newsletter – Summer 2016[/et_pb_text][/et_pb_column]
Oceanside Historical Society
305 North Nevada Street
Oceanside, CA 92054
P.O. Box 125
Oceanside, CA 92049-0125
Phone: (760) 722-4786
PROUD PARTNER OF MAINSTREET OCEANSIDE